Latest News

Tuesday 3 August 2010

6 Weeks is a long time to have the kids at home during the school holidays and I know that most people (including myself!) could do with a few ideas of days out that won’t cost too much or are free to ensure that you don’t run out of money whilst entertaining those little monkeys!

Partly so that I can find things to do with my bundles of joy and to help you find activities to keep the kids from under your feet, I have gathered a few ideas for days out that won’t cost the earth…

Greatwood

http://www.greatwood.org.uk/kids 2

Situated at Nether Stowey, Somerset, Great Wood is a Scripture Union owned site just waiting to be used by your church, youth group, school or just a great family day out!

In fact, this is somewhere that I have visited today with my

kids and they have had the most fun, spending hours playing

amongst the trees and stream. This is a great place for a

picnic or bring a barbecue. Although I would highly

recommend wellies, a couple of change of clothes and raincoats.

Also, free parking and no entrance fees!

The Donkey Sanctuary

http://drupal.thedonkeysaimagesnctuary.org.uk/visit

 

Go along and visit the Donkey Sanctuary, its open 365 days of the year from 9am until dusk with free parking and free admission.

Dogs are very welcome.

They totally rely on the generosity of the public and contributions in one of our collecting boxes will be most gratefully received.

 

 

 

 

Fyne Court

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-fynecourttim and molly

A real hidden Somerset gem, back under Trust management. Originally designed as the pleasure grounds of the  Crosse family and the pioneer 19th-century electrician Andrew Crosse. Spend a magical day walking through the woodland garden, before meandering through bluebell-filled copses and the delightful meadows on the wider estate

Again, this is somewhere that offers free parking and  no entrance fees. Somewhere else that I have visited with my kids and fantastic on a sunny day when you can take a picnic and spend the afternoon walking along the trails. .

Free parking and no admissions fees.

 

 

 

Tarr Steps

http://www.northdevon.com/site/things-to-do/attractions/tarr-steps-p283983

images

 

 

Tarr Steps is a medieval clapper bridge over the river Barle which spans the fifty-five foot river in seventeen spans of flat stone. Close by are burial mounds of Bronze Age men from 5,000 years ago.

Up the River Barle, north-east of Dulverton, is one of the gems of Exmoor, Tarr Steps. Take the B3223 out of the town for about 3 miles. Tarr Steps is signposted to the left. This footbridge over the Barle is considered to be Britain's oldest and longest stone clapper bridge.

 

 

 

Don’t forget there are so many other places around Somerset and Devon that you can visit without paying too much money, with beaches, fun farms and parks. As I find more free places to visit I will update my blog further, in the meantime I really hope you all enjoy the great places that I have found so far!

 

Sue x

0 comments:

GMT

Search My Holiday Expert

Labels

Followers